Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The 'Rare' Art of Listening

Somebody said, " The best gift that you can give to others is the purity of listening." Usually, not always, we like to talk more and listen less of others. Expecting others to agree to everything what we are saying. Some of you may not agree with me. It is fine. But a practical question for all of us, " How good are we at listening to what others have to say?" I hope this makes sense and you may also have felt the same when we feel we are not heard by your fellow colleagues or seniors out of various reasons. So, to make it a bit easy to understand, I would like to share with you all some scenarios that we come across in our daily lives.
Source: http://askmonicaberg.com/the-art-of-listening/



A week back, I came across a conversation between two nationals - Mr. A said to Mr. B at the end of hour long incessant one way chattering, " I will make you talk". This was a surprising end to such a conversation. A bit confused and hurt, Mr. B politely asked Mr. A back, " By the way, why do you want me to be a talkative guy?" Mr. B then said in drunken slurring tone, "You people do not talk at all". This last sentence was, I think, unnecessary but it was said !! Then, I thought, Mr. A must be a talkative guy - good at the art of talking. But, I have to say, bad at the art of listening. And, I am going to tell you why?

The whole conversation was of all his recent travel experiences to Africa. Or, a talk on recent project completed. Definitely, all these experiences are noteworthy of sharing as any storyteller shares to his/her friends or colleagues. Only portion missing in this conversation was two way communication - sharing your ideas, thoughts and listening to others' as well. Instead, it was one way bombardment as if a voluminous vomiting out of all you have !! As for me and poor guy Mr. B, the only challenge was listening patiently for hours with our head nodding, uneasy smiles sometimes to show our agreement and sometimes, grimaces out of surprises or trying to hide your embarrassment or frustration - I was tolerating all my urge to intervene this conversation. Thankfully, somebody else intervened and we were saved.
Source: http://enjabelok.blogspot.kr/









The message that I would like to impart here is that you will do much better for yourself and others if we improve our art of listening, which is much better supplemented with your art of speaking and leadership. Many of us always strive to improve our art of leadership and communication along with social skills, we tend to forget this important silent art of listening. It is only in listening well that we can understand the deeper meaning of any conversation or dialogue so we can have a better communication that harmonizes the thoughts / opinions of all parties. Again, I would like to repeat and end by saying, " The best gift that you can give to others is the purity of listening."
ABC
9th July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment